Re: [dinosaur] Jianianhualong, new feathered troodontid from Lower Cretaceous Jehol Group of China (free pdf)

Just finished a quick read through of this paper. It is a neat specimen and a
generally well-written paper. The idea that feather vane asymmetry might be
quite basal is very interesting (albeit not terribly surprising).

My one criticism at the moment is that while the authors cite the most
important literature regarding the relevant dynamics related to feather
asymmetry, they don’t really use that literature effectively. The paper, as
written, implies that the dynamics of feather asymmetry aren’t well understood.
Contrary to this suggestion, the basics of asymmetrical vane twist and stall
reduction are known, and the key paper on the subject (Feo et al., 2015) is
even cited in this manuscript - but only as support for the statement that
asymmetry is complicated! I feel that this oversight matters, because the
difference between functional asymmetry and anatomical asymmetry could play
into the phylogenetic patterns that the rest of the paper is primarily
concerned with.

Plotting the appearance of feather vane asymmetry in the tail and forelimbs in
a phylogenetic framework was a great idea, but I do wish the authors had
plotted both anatomical asymmetry (as they did) and aerodynamic asymmetry
(which they did not).

I’d be curious to hear what others think of the manuscript.

Cheers,

—MBH

Michael Habib, MS, PhD
Assistant Professor, Integrative Anatomical Sciences
Keck School of Medicine of USC
University of Southern California
Bishop Research Building; Room 403
1333 San Pablo Street, Los Angeles 90089-9112

Research Associate, Dinosaur Institute
900 Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90007

biologyinmotion@gmail.com
(443) 280-0181