Re: [dinosaur] Jianianhualong, new feathered troodontid from Lower Cretaceous Jehol Group of China (free pdf)

I agree that "asymmetrical" versus "symmetrical" should not be
regarded as a binary character, since there are different kinds of
"asymmetry".  And it's still not clear why vane asymmetry (functional
asymmetry) evolved in the first place.  Was it originally associated
with terrestrial 'pre-flight' behaviors (leaping, maneuverability,
etc)?  Or was vane asymmetry originally involved in a non-locomotory
function, such as display?  Vane asymmetry is seen in certain
short-armed paravians that clearly couldn't fly (and almost certainly
didn't glide) - like _Jianianhualong_ and _Zhenyuanlong_ (though
asymmetry is not certain). Thus, the oft-stated link between vane
asymmetry and flight ability is not clear cut.

I think Reviewer #1 is spot on when they say, "The ability to glide is
suggested here but not supported; asymmetrical feathers occur in other
non-avian dinosaurs that did not fly, and appear today in some birds
even though they are not used in flying. So their presence does not
automatically relate to any kind of flight."  (The authors, to their
credit, didn't really push any alleged gliding abilities for
_Jianianhualong_ in the published paper.)

It's tempting to argue that short-armed paravians with asymmetric
vanes (e.g., _Jianianhualong_, _Zhenyuanlong_?) were secondarily
non-volant, i.e., they evolved from volant ancestors that lost the
ability to glide or fly.  This is certainly plausible for
_Zhenyuanlong_, if it's closely related to _Microraptor_.
_Zhenyuanlong_ has quite a complex, layered wing (composed of
primaries, secondaries, coverts), with the primaries and secondaries
apparently asymmetrical (though this is not certain, due to the state
of preservation of the plumage).  Aside from relative size, its wings
are strikingly similar to those of the much smaller, long-armed
_Microraptor_.  But a volant ancestry seems less likely for a derived
troodontid like _Jianianhualong_, so its vane asymmetry might have
nothing to do with flight ability (or loss of this ability from a
flighted ancestor).

If vane asymmetry didn't begin as a flight-related character, this is
consistent with vane asymmetry being very basal in Paraves. Functional
asymmetry then led to aerodynamic asymmetry and the 'modern' avian
flight feather, plus further refinements to the flight apparatus;
based on Feo et al. (2015), this happened at or around the level of
Ornithothoraces.  Although the _Jianianhualong_ paper favors the
hypothesis that feather asymmetry was ancestral to Paraves, I think
it's plausible that vane asymmetry evolved in Paraves multiple times.
In other words, certain deinonychosaurs evolved vane asymmetry
separately, and independently of birds.  There is no evidence that the
evolution of any sort of vane asymmetry was initially tied to gliding
or powered flight.

Finally, a phylogenetic comment on the paper.  I'm a bit confused by
the phylogenetic definitions of the clades used in this paper.
Avialae apparently excludes _Archaeopteryx_.  Figure 6 has
_Archaeopteryx_ within Deinonychosauria, although as far as I can tell
this is not explicitly stated.