Re: [dinosaur] Lucianovenator, new coelophysid neotheropod from Late Triassic of Argentina

Based on the phylogenetic analysis, _Lucianovenator_ could just as
easily been regarded as a species of _Coelophysis_ (_C. bonoi_).  The
same applies to _Camposaurus_ and _Lepidus_, which could likewise be
considered to be species of _Coelophysis  (_C. arizonensis_ and _C.
praecisio_, respectively), along with _Megapnosaurus_ (already sunk
into _Coelophysis_ as _C. rhodesiensis_... I suspect this has been
partly motivated by the desire to extirpate the name _Megapnosaurus_).

(The other erstwhile _Syntarsus_ species, "_S." kayentakatae_, still
needs a new genus name; unless it turns out that it's synonymous with
_Kayentavenator_, in which case it would become _Kayentavenator
kayentakatae_.)

Interestingly, Martinez & Alpadetti consider _Lepidus praecisio_ as a
possible composite taxon, with the holotype as a coelophysid, and the
referred material coming from a second theropod taxon related to
_Ceratosaurus_.  This assessment is preliminary, but intriguing
nonetheless.