Re: [dinosaur] Tyrannosaurus Rex Coloration

Rubin Safir,

Respectfully, I'm going to have to disagree with your hypothesis. I feel that a better analogue for Tyrannosaurs would be birds of Prey. Like the tyrannosaurs, birds of prey are carnivorous. To my knowledge, many if not most of the cheek colored birds are herbivorous to a large extent, and don't have to rely on sneaking around to hunt prey. I also have seen very few raptors with brightly colored cheeks (Just the Caracara and King Vulture).

I'm not saying that this is impossible, just that with our current knowledge, it seems a massive leap to suggest intense coloration on a very likely predatory creature as a bare minimum. Especially so when we have better modern analogues that don't line up with the prediction.

- Nickolas A. Brand