Re: [dinosaur] Ornithoscelida re-examined, and re-re-examined

Brad,

The pdfs show them with the other articles from Nature deleted. When you see them in the printed context, all that space is filled.

Space is exceedingly precious in Nature. Even my brief letter with regards to Baron et al. had about half the text trimmed out in order to meet their requirements.

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 5:38 AM, Brad McFeeters <archosauromorph2@hotmail.com> wrote:

Why is the space precious? Both letters end with at least half an empty page. Â

Sent from Outlook

From: dinosaur-l-request@usc.edu <dinosaur-l-request@usc.edu> on behalf of David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Sent: November 1, 2017 3:47 PM
To: dinosaur-l@usc.edu
Subject: Re: [dinosaur] Ornithoscelida re-examined, and re-re-examined
The reply contains this:

"Following scrutiny of the character data underpinning our phylogeny1, Langer et al.2 identify numerous disagreements in terms of character scoring and suggest changing approximately 2,500 scorings, around 10% of the character data. This extensive re-scoring results in recovery of the âtraditionalâ topology, although with less resolution and very weak support; their result is statistically indistinguishable from the possibility that our topology provides a better explanation of the data. This weak support, despite these extensive changes, suggests that the âtraditionalâ tree struggles to account for many character distributions."

Uh, it does. But it also suggests that the Ornithoscelida tree struggles just as much, indeed a little bit _more_, to account for many character distributions. That sentence was a waste of precious space.

--

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email:Âtholtz@umd.eduÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Phone: 301-405-4084

Office: Geology 4106, 8000 Regents Dr., College Park MD 20742

http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/

Phone: 301-405-6965
Fax: 301-314-9661ÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ

Office: Centreville 1216, 4243 Valley Dr., College Park MD 20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

Mailing Address:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Department of Geology
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Building 237, Room 1117

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 8000 Regents Drive
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ University of Maryland
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ College Park, MD 20742-4211 USA