Re: [dinosaur] Evolution of giant flightless birds (free pdf)

Yes...and it seems with extant big birds that predation is a much greater limiting factor than competition. Competitive exclusion demands identical or very similar niche requirements...definitely not relevant here. I suppose competition may have been more important between carnivorous species.

On the other hand an explanation could be that both predation and competition were involved in limiting large avians' diversity: large birds were outcompeted by mammals because they could not tolerate high predation load due to reproductive mode (much as certain barnacles cannot tolerate the dry upper intertidal zone).

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:31 PM Yazbeck, Thomas Michael <yazbeckt@msu.edu> wrote:

Worth noting that Gastornithidae don't appear right away after K/T, they appear about 2/3 of the way thru the Paleocene. This doesn't appear to be any more of a head start over mammals since bigger herbivores like Coryphodon also appear at that time. But most of these mammalian herbivores would occupy a different niche than a herbivorous Gastornis (if we presume it to have been on a seed- or nut-crushing diet)

TY

From: dinosaur-l-request@usc.edu <dinosaur-l-request@usc.edu> on behalf of Ronald Orenstein <ron.orenstein@rogers.com>
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2017 8:02 PM
To: John Bois
Cc: Tim Williams; dinosaur-l@usc.edu
Subject: Re: [dinosaur] Evolution of giant flightless birds (free pdf)

I have always assumed that one of the reasons for the evolution of at least some large flightless birds was lack of competition from mammals. This seems highly likely for moas, elephant-birds, giant flightless Hawaiian geese, large flightless galliforms on New Caledonia and Fiji, dodos etc.  it may be have been less of a factor for large birds on continents, but I wonder if the evolution of large size early giant birds such as Gastornis might have been facilitated by a depauperate mammal fauna after the C-T?

Ronald Orenstein