Re: [dinosaur] Jehol Biota rise and fall + protoceratopsids from Alxa, Inner Mongolia, China + more free pdfs

> Brad McFeeters <archosauromorph2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Shao et al. 2017 strangely refer to _Liaoningornis_ as "the only member of
>> the Neornithes in the Yixian Formation." Has anyone else ever considered it
>> to be that derived?
>
> My guess is that the authors have confused 'Neornithes' with
> 'Ornithurae'.  _Liaoningornis_ was originally described as a member of
> the Ornithurae (Hou, 1997; Chinese Science Bulletin 42: 413-417),
> where it was described as a "carinate bird" on account of its keeled
> sternum.  However, it was assigned to a new order
> (Liaoningornithiformes) at the base of the Ornithurae, not the crown
> clade.

The name Neornithes was previously used in an idiosyncratic way by Martin (1983: 321, Figure 9.10), who treated it as a synonym for what is usually called Carinatae these days (i.e., crown-group birds plus ichthyornithiforms). I'm not aware of any more recent publications following Martin's nomenclature, but the Shao et al. paper definitely gives off vibes of being stuck in the 80s in more ways than one, as has been pointed out above.

Ref:

Martin LD 1983 The origin and early radiation of birds. 291--338 in Brush AH, Clark GA Jr, eds. Perspectives in Ornithology. New York: Cambridge Univ Press

--
David Černý