Re: [dinosaur] Saturnalia (Triassic sauropodomorph) braincase endocast (free pdf)

Some additional related new items:

video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=guOkyvpf4u0

--

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-lumbering-giants-agile-ancestors.html

--

German

http://www.uni-muenchen.de/forschung/news/2017/rauhut_fleischfresser.html

----

Portuguese

http://scienceblogs.com.br/colecionadores/2017/09/cabeca-de-predador-dinossauro-brasileiro-ajuda-a-compreender-a-evolucao-do-grupo/

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Ben Creisler <bcreisler@gmail.com> wrote:

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper in open access:

Mario Bronzati, Oliver W. M. Rauhut, Jonathas S. Bittencourt & Max C. Langer (2017)
Endocast of the Late Triassic (Carnian) dinosaur Saturnalia tupiniquim: implications for the evolution of brain tissue in Sauropodomorpha.
Scientific Reports 7, Article number: 11931 (2017)
doi:10.1038/s41598-017-11737-5

The evolutionary history of dinosaurs might date back to the first stages of the Triassic (c. 250–240 Ma), but the oldest unequivocal records of the group come from Late Triassic (Carnian – c. 230 Ma) rocks of South America. Here, we present the first braincase endocast of a Carnian dinosaur, the sauropodomorph Saturnalia tupiniquim, and provide new data regarding the evolution of the floccular and parafloccular lobe of the cerebellum (FFL), which has been extensively discussed in the field of palaeoneurology. Previous studies proposed that the development of a permanent quadrupedal stance was one of the factors leading to the volume reduction of the FFL of sauropods. However, based on the new data for S. tupiniquim we identified a first moment of FFL volume reduction in non-sauropodan Sauropodomorpha, preceding the acquisition of a fully quadrupedal stance. Analysing variations in FFL volume alongside other morphological changes in the group, we suggest that this reduction is potentially related to the adoption of a more restricted herbivore diet. In this context, the FFL of sauropods might represent a vestigial trait, retained in a reduced version from the bipedal and predatory early sauropodomorphs.
==