[dinosaur] T. rex bite force + toxic plant dinosaur extinction theory + more comments and corrections

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Some recent papers with corrections or comments:

===================

Karl T. Bates & Peter L. Falkingham (2018)
Correction to 'Estimating maximum bite performance in Tyrannosaurus rex using multi-body dynamics'.
Biology Letters 14(4) 20180160Â
DOI: 10.1098/rsbl.2018.0160
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/14/4/20180160
Free pdf:
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/roybiolett/14/4/20180160.full.pdf

Owing to an error in our muscle physiological cross-sectional area calculations, the range of bite force estimates for four models in our original analysis (maximum and minimum values presented in table 2 of [1]) are approximately 6% too high. This relates specifically to error in our calculation of the effect of a 20Â pennation angle on muscle physiological cross-sectional area in the sensitivity analysis carried out on our adult Alligator, Allosaurus, juvenile and adult Tyrannosaurus models. Because the error is consistent across models, none of the conclusions of the paper have changed. A corrected version of table 2 of [1] is as follows
Correction to 'Estimating maximum bite performance in Tyrannosaurus rex using multi-body dynamics'

***

Original 2012 paper free pdf link:

http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/8/4/660
Free pdf:
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/roybiolett/8/4/660.full.pdf

==================

Commentary

Michael Frederick & Gordon G. Gallup, Jr. (2017)
The demise of dinosaurs and learned taste aversions: The biotic revenge hypothesis.
Ideas in Ecology and Evolution 10(1):Â 47â54Â
doi:10.4033/iee.2017.10.9.c
https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/IEE/article/view/6802

Numerous hypotheses have been advanced to explain the worldwide extinction event that led to the disappearance of the dinosaurs. There is considerable empirical support for the well-known asteroid impact hypothesis, and volcanic eruptions in the Deccan Traps have also been implicated. Increasingly, theories involving multiple causes are being considered, yet few of these consider how the cognitive and behavioral abilities of certain classes of animals may have differed in ways that allowed some to survive while others perished. Here we advance the hypothesis along with supporting evidence that the emergence of toxic plants coupled with an inability to form learned taste aversions may have contributed to the extinction of dinosaurs.

==============

Article Commentary

Rodrigo Temp MÃller, FlÃvio Augusto Pretto, Leonardo Kerber, Eduardo Silva-Neves & SÃrgio Dias-da-Silva (2018)
Comment on 'A dinosaur missing-link? Chilesaurus and the early evolution of ornithischian dinosaurs'.
Biology Letters 14(3): 20170581Â
DOI: 10.1098/rsbl.2017.0581
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/14/3/20170581

*****

Matthew G. Baron & Paul M. Barrett (2018)
Support for the placement of Chilesaurus within Ornithischia: a reply to MÃller et al.
Biology Letters 14(3) 20180002;Â
DOI: 10.1098/rsbl.2018.0002Â
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/14/3/20180002

===========

L. A. Parry, M. G. Baron &Â J. Vinther (2018)
Correction to 'Multiple optimality criteria support Ornithoscelida'
Royal Society Open Science 2018Â 5 180154
DOI: 10.1098/rsos.180154
http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/5/3/180154
Free pdf:
http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/royopensci/5/3/180154.full.pdf

In our work, we reanalysed phylogenetic datasets for dinosaurs. This included a dataset assembled by Langer et al. [1] which was further modified by Baron et al. [2]. The dataset analysed in our paper incorporated the modifications made by Baron et al. [2] to the coding of multiple characters in Pisanosaurus, which was not made explicit in our manuscript (results shown in fig. 5). Also, owing to an error prior to publication, the full citation to Langer et al. [1] was not included in our paper and is provided here for clarity. Furthermore, we would like to apologize for the fact that our paper was made available online prior to the publication of Langer et al. [1], which was the result of a lack of communication with the journal on our part.

Original paper link (doi:10.1098/rsos.170833) :

http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/4/10/170833

=====

Jung-Kyun Kim, Yong-Eun Kwon, Sang-Gil Lee, Chang-Yeon Kim, Jin-Gyu Kim, Min Huh, Eunji Lee & Youn-Joong Kim (2018)
Correction: Correlative microscopy of the constituents of a dinosaur rib fossil and hosting mudstone: Implications on diagenesis and fossil preservation.
PLoS ONE 13(3): e0195421
doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0195421
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0195421