Re: [dinosaur] Leucocephalus, new burnetiid therapsid from Late Permian of South Africa (name NOT preoccupied...)

An important update!

The generic name Leucocephalus is, in fact, NOT preoccupied by Leucocelphalus Amyot, 1846, which is an invalid name according to an ICZN opinion.

I relied on a quick check of multiple online nomenclatural resources and databases, which seemed to indicate that the generic name Leucocephalus Amyot had been validly published. However, many thanks to Chris Kammerer and Michael O. Day for clarifying the situation.Â

The French entomologist Amyot's works were put on the list of Official List of Rejected and Invalid Works in Zoological Nomenclature with Opinion 686, amended by Opinion 2165.

Opinion 686. Amyot, MÃthode mononymique: Placed on the Official Index of Rejected and Invalid Works in Zoological Nomenclature.Â
Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature. 20 (6): 423. 1963.

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/12221768#page/471/mode/1up

Opinion 2165 (Case 3327). Amyot, MÃthode mononymique (1845â1847): Correction to Opinion 686.Â
Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature. 63 (4): 284â285. 2006.

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/107000#page/302/mode/1up

http://iczn.org/content/opinion-2165-case-3327-amyot-m%C3%A9thode-mononymique-1845%E2%80%931847-correction-opinion-686

***

My apologies for jumping to a conclusion based on a quick check of the usual nomenclatural sources. I did indicate that the name "appears" to be preoccupied and had not researched the history of the name in depth. As far as I know, the ICZN has not yet posted the entire list of Rejected and Invalid Generic Names online.

====