[dinosaur] Mesozoic bird in amber + Mansaourasaurus + Wahlisaurus + new Mongolian mammal + more

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Some recent items:

===

Fossil Friday Roundup: February 2, 2018

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/laelaps/paleo-profile-the-mansaoura-lizard/

==

THIS MESOZOIC MONTH: JANUARY 2018

https://chasmosaurs.com/2018/01/31/this-mesozoic-month-january-2018/

=====

Dinosaur-Era Bird Found Trapped in Amber

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/dinosaurs-birds-trapped-amber-fossils-paleontology-science/

===

Eogranivora (in Chinese)

http://www.uua.cn/show-10-8475-1.html

======

A Point About Horned Dinosaurs

New finds have complicated the traditional way of distinguishing horned dinosaurs.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/laelaps/a-point-about-horned-dinosaurs/

===========

Paleo Profile: The Mansaoura Lizard

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/laelaps/paleo-profile-the-mansaoura-lizard/

====

How crazy are the cervicals of Mendozasaurus?

https://svpow.com/2018/02/01/how-crazy-are-titanosaur-cervicals/

=====

Author Interview: Kimi Chapelle & Massospondylus Skull Anatomy

http://blogs.plos.org/paleocomm/2018/02/01/author-interview-kimi-chapelle-massospondylus-skull-anatomy/

===

Rare ichthyosaur Wahlisaurus is only second known example

https://beta.capeia.com/paleobiology/2018/02/01/rare-ichthyosaur-is-only-second-known-example

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-rare-ichthyosaur.html

====

Titanosaur fossils found in Plottier Formation in Argentina (in Spanish)

https://fundaciondinosaurioscyl.blogspot.com.es/2018/02/encontraron-fosiles-de-una-titanosauria.html

====

Experts discover 70 dinosaur bones, fish fossils in Sironcha, India

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/nagpur/experts-discover-70-dinosaur-bones-fish-fossils-in-sironcha/articleshow/62747827.cms

====

Nevada dinosaur find from Valley of Fire

http://news3lv.com/news/local/new-dinosaur-species-discovered-in-valley-of-fire

=====

Bristol undergraduate identifies South Wales fossil as new species of ancient reptile

http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2018/february/south-wales-reptile-.html

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-south-wales-fossil-species-ancient.html

====

Turtle brain evolution

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-steady-brain-evolution-turtles.html

======

El Centro PaleontolÃgico de Enciso opens in La Rioja, Spain (in Spanish)

https://nuevecuatrouno.com/2018/02/02/enciso-estrena-nuevo-centro-paleontologico/

===

Tetsuhito Miyashita explains his why his study of Daspletosaurus at the Royal Tyrrell Museum is not yet finished after many years (in Japanese)

http://natgeo.nikkeibp.co.jp/atcl/web/17/120500017/121400006/

http://business.nikkeibp.co.jp/atcl/report/15/227278/121900113/?P=1

**

Earlier article in English in 2010 about Miyashita at the University of Alberta

https://www.ualberta.ca/science/dinosaurs/paleontology/the-people-of-paleo/meet-some-of-our-paleo-graduate-students/tetsuto-miyashita

=====

Apparently there is a new early mammal from Mongolia that has been described in Russian. The name is given in Russian as "Khovur-lestes" Lopatin & Averianov, 2018, but I don't have the official Latin form yet (in Russian)

The illustration shows "Khovur-lestes" on the right, with larger fangs, preying on a lizard, facing off with Prokennalestes (recently redescribed by the same authors)

The ref in Russian is here, but there is no content at the link for now. I'll see what I can turn up.

ÐÐÐÐÑÐÐ Ð.Ð., ÐÐÐÑÑÑÐÐÐ Ð.Ð. (2018)
ÐÐÐÐÐ ÑÑÐÐÐÐÐÐÐ ÐÐÐÑÐÐÑÐÑÐÐÐ ÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÑÐÑÑÐÐ ÐÐ ÑÐÐÐÐÐÐ ÐÐÐÐ ÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐ.
[New stem placental mammal from the Early Cretaceous of Mongolia]Â
ÐÐÐÐÐÐÑ ÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐ ÐÐÑÐ. 2018. Ð. 478. â 1. Ð. 117â120.

===

Controversy over access to iguanodont tracks found in Kislovodsk, Russia, and plans for a tourist attraction (in Russian)

https://kavtoday.ru/49904

===

Suchogorgon (in Russian)

http://elementy.ru/kartinka_dnya/518/Zveroyashcher_sukhogorgon

======

In Czech:

Chicxulub and the environmental disaster for the last Mexican dinosaurs

https://dinosaurusblog.com/2018/02/01/zkaza-poslednich-mexickych-dinosauru/Â ÂTom

*****

The Dark Side of Paleontology

https://dinosaurusblog.com/2018/01/29/temna-strana-paleontologie/

====

Sonorasaurus proposed as state dinosaur for Arizona

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/arizona-could-soon-have-an-official-state-dinosaur-thanks-to-an-11-year-old

====

Pterosaur eggs and embryos

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/jackpot-hundreds-fossilized-pterosaur-eggs-unearthed-china