Re: [dinosaur] Puzzles and Perils of the Prefix Eu "Good": from Eubontes to Euarchontaglires

A genus and a species would be singular, both individually and in combination (Tyrannosaurus is..., Tyrannosaurus rex is...). Technically, anything above a genus needs to be plural UNLESS it's qualified with a singular, which case it can be singular. So "the Tyrannosauridae are..." but "the family Tyrannosauridae is..." or "the clade Tyrannosauridae is..."Â However, it's common to see "The Tyrannosauridae was a family of theropod dinosaurs...."

Things get a little complicated in some older texts where a genus was sometimes treated as plural... I'd need to do a bit of research to find some examples, though.

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 12:06 AM, Mickey Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:

What about say... sinensis, Iguanodon or Tyrannosauridae? Are those technically singular or plural? Or is sinensis an adjective or something?

Mickey Mortimer

From: Ben Creisler <bcreisler@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 11:59 PM
To: Mickey Mortimer; dinosaur-l@usc.edu
Subject: Re: [dinosaur] Puzzles and Perils of the Prefix Eu "Good": from Eubontes to Euarchontaglires

I explained the distinction and why adding "the clade Theropoda" or "the group Theropoda" makes the singular okay. Higher category names MUST be Latin plurals, period, just as "data" is plural in correct grammar. Arguably, they could have written the sentence as "The Euarchonta hypothesis is similar to the morphology-based Archonta hypothesis"--but they didn't. "Theropoda are similar to the apomorphy-based Avepoda..." is correct grammar in this case. Add the word "clade" and the singular is required.