Re: [dinosaur] European Association of Vertebrate Palaeontology abstracts + Smithsonian dinosaurs + more

I doubt that the authors of this script were even aware of this idea. They seem simply to have confused "primitive saurischians" and "primitive sauropodomorphs". They have done other flubs in the past (DimetrodonÂas a herbivore, for instance).

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:57 PM David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
> Gesendet:ÂMittwoch, 27. Juni 2018 um 20:59 Uhr
> Von:Â"Ben Creisler" <bcreisler@gmail.com>
>
> [...]
>
> I don't know where the "prosauropods"Â as theropod or tyrannosaur ancestors flub could possibly come from.

I do: the 1960s through early 80s, when the herrerasaurids were considered theropod ancestors and at the same time part of a paraphyletic Prosauropoda. Lots of people simply don't know how short the half-life of knowledge has become, and can't imagine it on their own.

> Who does the fact-checking on this stuff?

What made you expect anybody does?

--

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email:Âtholtz@umd.eduÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Phone: 301-405-4084

Office: Geology 4106, 8000 Regents Dr., College Park MD 20742

http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/

Phone: 301-405-6965
Fax: 301-314-9661ÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ

Office: Centreville 1216, 4243 Valley Dr., College Park MD 20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

Mailing Address:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Department of Geology
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Building 237, Room 1117

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 8000 Regents Drive
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ University of Maryland
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ College Park, MD 20742-4211 USA