[dinosaur] History of dinosaur studies (old and recent) + Haplocanthosaurus + Messel mystery + more

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Some recent items

===

Dinosauria: how the 'terrible lizards' got their name

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/how-dinosaurs-got-their-name.html

====

25 years after Jurassic Park, our understanding of dinosaurs has evolved
A new exhibition shows that our knowledge of ancient creatures has moved on considerably â and it turns out dinos are even stranger than we thought

Darren NaishÂ

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/dinosaurs-discovery-jurassic-park-stephen-spieldberg-fossils-cretaceous-a8450826.html

====

The real palaeo diet: the nutritional value of dinosaur food

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jul/18/the-real-palaeo-diet-the-nutritional-value-of-dinosaur-food

====

Proximal caudals of Haplocanthosaurus, from Hatcher (1903)

https://svpow.com/2018/07/18/proximal-caudals-of-haplocanthosaurus-from-hatcher-1903/

===

Virginia Museum of Natural History unveils new sauropod footprint ahead of Dino Festival
Museum scientists found fossil unexpectedly on a recent dig in Wyoming (video)

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/southside/virginia-museum-of-natural-history-unveils-new-fossil-ahead-of-dino-festival

===

Too large tyrannosaurs (in Czech)

https://dinosaurusblog.com/2018/07/18/prilis-velci-tyranosauri/

===

Jack Horner interview

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/jurassic-world-paleontologist-who-inspired-alan-grant-role-talks-real-ncna885046

===

Scientists are unearthing amazing dinosaurs in a national monument targeted by Trump

https://earthjustice.org/features/monumental-discoveries

====

Skeletons and scares at Portugal's dino park

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-skeletons-portugal-dino.html

====
====

And non-dino...

Past Time Episode 26 â Colobops: the tiny reptile with a big bite!

http://www.pasttime.org/podcast/episode-26-colobops-the-tiny-reptile-with-a-big-bite/

====

Taxonomy Tuesday: Snakes are lizards

http://waxing-paleontological.blogspot.com/2018/07/taxonomy-tuesday-snakes-are-lizards.html

===

The Mystery of the Eoceneâs Lethal Lake (Messel Pit)

PBS Eons (video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNvRLVBKn-I

====

International group of paleontologists from 5th IPC visit site of some of the earliest known tetrapod finds in Europe at Strud (Gesves) in Belgium (in French)

http://www.canalc.be/carriere-de-strud-un-site-visite-par-des-paleontologues-du-monde-entier/

===

The origins of those sexual organs: a fishy tale much more primitive than we thought

https://theconversation.com/the-origins-of-those-sexual-organs-a-fishy-tale-much-more-primitive-than-we-thought-99675