Re: [dinosaur] Mesosaurus + Jeholochelys + Kulgeriherpeton + Merifontichnus + more

Gesendet:ÂFreitag, 27. Juli 2018 um 17:44 Uhr
Von:Â"Ben Creisler" <bcreisler@gmail.com>

> Kulgeriherpeton ultimus gen. et sp. nov.Â

ultimum of course; already corrected automatically by Article 31.2: "Agreement
in gender. A species-group name, if it is or ends in a Latin or latinized
adjective or participle in the nominative singular, must agree in gender with
the generic name with which it is at any time combined."

> Pavel P. Skutschas, Veniamin V. Kolchanov, Alexander O. Averianov, Thomas
> Martin, Rico Schellhorn, Petr N. Kolosov, and Dmitry D. Vitenko (2018)
> A new relict stem salamander from the Early Cretaceous of Yakutia, Siberian
> Russia.
> Acta Palaeontologica Polonica (in press)
>
> [...] The recognition of stem salamanders and other vertebrates with Jurassic
> affinities in the Early Cretaceous high-latitude (paleolatitude estimate N
> 63â70Â) vertebrate assemblage of Teete suggests that: (i) the large
> territory of present day Siberia was a refugium for Jurassic relicts; (ii)
> there were no striking differences in the composition of high-latitude
> Yakutian and mid-latitude Western Siberian Early Cretaceous vertebrate
> assemblages; and (iii) there was a smooth transition from the Jurassic to
> Cretaceous biotas in North Asia.

So, taking this and the previous paper (and earlier ones about salamanders)
together, the salamanders and the diverse mammalimorphs all say Jurassic, and
the freshwater snails say Cretaceous. I wonder if at this point it becomes more
parsimonious to assume that the sites are Jurassic, and that "Cretaceous-type"
freshwater snails were endemic to Asia or northern Asia in the Jurassic. Where
is *Psittacosaurus sibiricus* from again?