Re: [dinosaur] Paleontology book chapters + Dilong brain + Microraptor +

Fossils from limestone quarry near Bamberg in Germany record Jurassic lagoon that predates Solnhofen, with possible new species, including exceptionally big turtle (with gallery of 43 photos)  (in German)

I wonder why. The head of the natural-history museum of Bamberg calls it "the absolute monster record turtle" in the article, but its shell is just about a meter long...? This isn't exactly Archelon we're talking about here. Maybe it's the largest Jurassic turtle, I don't know, but it's no bigger than Proganochelys.

Also, the lagoon predates Solnhofen by just a few hundred thousand years, making it interesting as a window into the development of the same ecosystem.