[dinosaur] Fukuipteryx, new basal bird from Early Cretaceous of Japan (free pdf)

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper in open access:

Fukuipteryx prima gen. et sp. nov.
Takuya Imai, Yoichi Azuma, Soichiro Kawabe, Masateru Shibata, Kazunori Miyata, Min Wang & Zhonghe Zhou (2019).
An unusual bird (Theropoda, Avialae) from the Early Cretaceous of Japan suggests complex evolutionary history of basal birds
Communications Biology Â2, Article number: 399
doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/s42003-019-0639-4

Free pdf:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-019-0639-4.pdf

The Early Cretaceous basal birds were known largely from just two-dimensionally preserved specimens from north-eastern China (Jehol Biota), which has hindered our understanding of the early evolution of birds. Here, we present a three-dimensionally-preserved skeleton (FPDM-V-9769) of a basal bird from the Early Cretaceous of Fukui, central Japan. Unique features in the pygostyle and humerus allow the assignment of FPDM-V-9769 to a new taxon, Fukuipteryx prima. FPDM-V-9769 exhibits a set of features comparable to that of other basalmost birds including Archaeopteryx. Osteohistological analyses indicate that FPDM-V-9769 is subadult. Phylogenetic analyses resolve F. prima as a non-ornithothoracine avialan basal to Jeholornis and outgroup of the Pygostylia. This phylogenetic result may imply a complex evolutionary history of basal birds. To our knowledge, FPDM-V-9769 represents the first record of the Early Cretaceous non-ornithothoracine avialan outside of the Jehol Biota and increases our understanding of their diversity and distribution during the time.

News:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/newly-discovered-fossil-bird-fills-gap-between-dinosaurs-and-modern-fliers-180973551/

https://www.livescience.com/cretaceous-pigeon-fukuipteryx.html

http://www.natureasia.com/en/research/highlight/13147/