[dinosaur] Antarcticavis, new bird from Maastrichtian Cretaceous of Vega Island, Antarctica

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper:

Antarcticavis capelambensis gen. et sp. nov.

Amanda Cordes-Person, Carolina Acosta Hospitaleche, Judd Case & James Martin (2019)
An enigmatic bird from the lower Maastrichtian of Vega Island, Antarctica.
Cretaceous Research (advance online publication)
doi: Âhttps://doi.org/10.1016/j.cretres.2019.104314
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667118304944

We describe a partial skeleton from the lowest Maastrichtian levels of the Snow Hill Island Formation (Vega Island, West Antarctica). Because of the anatomical differences with the Antarctic Vegavis iaai and Polarornis gregorii, this fossil is recognized here as a new genus and species. The results of our phylogenetic analysis suggest that A. capelambensis would be placed inside the Ornithuromorpha, and probably nested within the Ornithurae. This provisional assignment could only be confirmed through the finding of most complete and better preserved specimens. Antarcticavis capelambensis is the geologically oldest bird described from Antarctica.