[dinosaur] Gretcheniao, new bird from Early Cretaceous of China (free pdf)

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail

A new paper in open access:

Gretcheniao sinensis gen. et sp. nov.

Chiappe LM, Qingjin M, Serrano F, Sigurdsen T, Min W, Bell A, Di L. 2019.
New Bohaiornis-like bird from the Early Cretaceous of China: enantiornithine interrelationships and flight performance.
PeerJ 7:e7846
doi: https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.7846
https://peerj.com/articles/7846/

Free pdf:
https://peerj.com/articles/7846.pdf

During the last decade, several Bohaiornis-like enantiornithine species--and numerous specimens--have been recognized from the celebrated Jehol Biota of northwestern China. In this paper, we describe the anatomy of another âbohaiornithidâ species from the 125 million-year-old Yixian Formation of Liaoning Province, China. The new taxon differs from previously recognized "bohaiornithids" on a number of characters from the forelimb and shoulder girdle. We also provide a new phylogenetic framework for enantiornithine birds, which questions the monophyly of the previously recognized bohaiornithid clade and highlights ongoing challenges for resolving enantiornithine interrelationships. Additionally, we offer the first assessment of the flight properties of Bohaiornis-like enantiornithines. Our results indicate that while "bohaiornithids" were morphologically suited for flying through continuous flapping, they would have been unable to sustain prolonged flights. Such findings expand the flight strategies previously known for enantiornithines and other early birds.

New:

https://novataxa.blogspot.com/2019/10/gretcheniao.html