[dinosaur] Triceratops frill + aquatic Spinosaurus + Deinosuchus + Bromacker Quarry to reopen + more

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Some recent items:

This Russian social media website may be of interest to some as a handy way to keep track of new vertpaleo papers in one place (rather than scattered over individual Twitter posts),Âincluding fishes and Cenozoic tetrapods that I don't usually include in my DML postings. (Note that I also do a weekly list of free (but not paywalled) vertpaleo papers over on the VertPaleo list.)

The listing of new papers is not exhaustive but does keep good tabs on major journals and Russian sources.Â

Paleo Publications News:

https://vk.com/paleopublicationsnews

************

Another useful source for new papers is the Wikipedia Paleontology 2020 list, which links out to sublists for fishes, reptiles, archosaurs (including birds), and mammals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_in_paleontology

*************

The Bird Forum site is also a good place to check for new papers on fossil birds:

https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=720

====

Delving deeper into the evolution of the Triceratops frill

https://www.icp.cat/index.php/en/press-room/noticies-icp/item/3038-delving-deeper-triceratops-frill-prieto-marquez-icp

====

Nigersaurus: Beast of the Week

http://prehistoricbeastoftheweek.blogspot.com/2013/04/nigersaurus-prehistoric-animal-of-week.html

====

Luis Rey: My Spinosaurus finally takes to the watersâ

https://luisvrey.wordpress.com/2020/08/05/my-spinosaurus-finally-takes-to-the-waters/

****

From earlier:

The Deinonychus Saga (Part 2)

https://luisvrey.wordpress.com/2012/06/27/the-deinonychus-saga-part-2/

====

Francisco Ortega audio interview about Upper Cretaceous Cuenca site in Spain (in Spanish)

https://play.cadenaser.com/audio/1596786740_784770/

===

New study confirms the power of Deinosuchus and its 'teeth the size of bananas'

https://phys.org/news/2020-08-power-deinosuchus-teeth-size-bananas.html

====

Bromacker Quarry in Germany, site of important Permian tetrapod fossils, to reopen for scientific excavation, possibly for a shortened dig this year (limited by coronavirus) and then a much bigger project in 2021 that will include places for visitors to watch the work and a lab (in German)

https://www.mdr.de/wissen/dinosaurierer-ausgrabung-besucher-bromacker-100.html

(Note that the Carnegie Museum has been posting blogs about the earlier history of their research and discoveries at the site. I have included the blog episodes in news items.)

===

Jurassic crinoids spent years crossing the ocean on log rafts â we've worked out how it was possible

https://theconversation.com/ancient-sea-creatures-spent-years-crossing-the-ocean-on-rafts-weve-worked-out-how-it-was-possible-143580

https://phys.org/news/2020-08-ancient-sea-creatures-spent-years.html

Original paper with free pdf:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.200142

=====

=====

Why The Triceratops Was Sick in Jurassic Park

https://screenrant.com/jurassic-park-triceratops-dinosaur-sick-berries-stone-explained/

=====

=====

Videos:

Drawing Dilophosaurus with Brian Engh

(content starts at 4 minutes in...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My6QDkg-_Nk&feature=youtu.be

===

Behind the Scenes with Brandon Strilisky: Introduction to Collections (with fossils in storage)
Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLELyKF65o

===