Re: [dinosaur] Dinosaur evolution at work

The concept of observing one species evolve into another in the fossil record is called anagenesis. As you pointed out, Campanian - Maastrichtian ceratopsids and hadrosaurids are some of the best "candidates" for anagenesis. Unfortunately, it's apparently hard to conclusively prove anagenesis (or rather, hard to completely rule out cladogenesis).

Thomas Yazbeck

From: dinosaur-l-request@mymaillists.usc.edu <dinosaur-l-request@mymaillists.usc.edu> on behalf of Poekilopleuron <dinosaurtom2015@seznam.cz>
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 3:55 AM
To: dinosaur-l@usc.edu <dinosaur-l@usc.edu>; tholtz@umd.edu <tholtz@umd.edu>
Subject: [dinosaur] Dinosaur evolution at work

Good day again! Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous queries. I have another one, concerning the evolutionary processes in dinosaurian lineages. I would like to ask, if there is a clear evolutionary lineage of certain dinosaur groups (most likely ceratopsians or hadrosaurids), in which we can observe the evolutionary processes at work. In other words, is there a clear hereditary lineage of at least a few million years, supported by both morphology and dating of sediments in which they are preserved? For example Einiosaurus - Achelousaurus - Pachyrhinosaurus comes to mind here... Thank you in advance! Tom